Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Death of a Disco Dancer

I know this is an old subject at this point but this is in my private journal and would like to share it with the world. A billion talking points just sprang to mind when thinking about the situation of Adam "DJ AM" Goldstein's death. (I admit I have been trolling alot of message boards lately.) I will offer the abridged and condensed: we mourn the death of a loved deceased person, but we attempt to celebrate the life of a talented deceased person. Something wrong with Humans, Version 2.0.0.9, that puts us on the grief train five times a day. I predict (long-standing) that in 10 years obituaries of actors, reality TV stars and Mousketeers will consume all other news unless priorities are set straight - a practical problem spun from an emotional problem. Goldstein's death will be wasted as a message because (short of a scholarship or treatment fund) I assume no single person will take effective action against drug abuse/addiction as a result. Just one more Hollywood burnout, one more person who makes Keith Richards look even more supernatural in comparison. And though empathy is surely a great human asset (FUCK YOU, ROBOTS!), actual care and thought is best spent on things of a tangible nature. The best example I can come up with is Britney Spears. Britney is someone's mother. Two someones, actually. If my mom was a fuckup in her 20's, I'd be aghast if others found her potential demise salivating. Not that anyone is responsible for Britney except for Britney herself, but her untimely death would be another triumph of a celebrity machine that constantly gets away with that shit. I find it all very horrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment